Monday, September 2, 2013

Turkey Chili with Cornbread Waffles

One of my favorite crock pot meals of all time is chili. You can throw it together in a matter of minutes and let it go for hours and not even have to think about it! I like to make a big batch and put a big tubber wear bowl full of it in the fridge for the next day and then freeze the rest for a later time.

I always like to make cornbread with my chili and our go to cornbread mix is the little box of Jiffy you find in the baking aisle for .50 cents. That cornbread just brings back childhood memories and I remember my mom making it for us all the time, not only is it cost efficient but it's quick. I've seen a lot of pins going around on Pinterest with putting your cornbread in the waffle maker, it seemed like a fun idea and something a bit different then making them in my mini muffin tin. My husband said he preferred the corn bread in the form of muffins that way you could dip them but we still enjoyed it.

Ingredients:

- 1 1/2 lbs ground turkey
- 2 bell peppers (I used a yellow and an orange pepper)
- 1 package of mushrooms
- 1 large can of diced tomato
- 1 large can of crushed tomato
- 1 large can of tomato sauce
- 1 large can of your choice of beans
- 1 packet of chili mix
- 1 box of cornbread mix (you will need an egg and 1/3 c milk if you use the Jiffy brand)

Additional Ingredients:

- Mrs. Dash Table Blend seasoning (I seasoned the ground turkey with this)
- Diced onion (for topping)
- Shredded cheese (for topping)






Once you get all of your ingredients prepped, throw it all in the crockpot on HIGH for 4 hours.


 Making your cornbread waffles will only take about 15 minutes so make them right before you're ready to eat. Make sure to spray your waffle maker liberally with cooking spray so the cornbread doesn't stick. I also found that you should cook them a little bit longer than you think you should because if you try to take them out to soon they will break and crumble.



While your cornbread is cooking, prep all of your toppings. Today I used onion and shredded cheese. You could also use avocado, sour cream, olives, lettuce or anything else your heart desires get creative! :)



The end result is so delicious! I can't wait for fall and winter to roll around so I can enjoy this on a cold day, but until then I will enjoy this in the comfort of my air conditioned house as it is in the 90s here and super humid!!

                                                                         Enjoy!




/a>

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
site design by designer blogs